*sigh* Welcome back… *clap* …to another episode of “TwoSet Violin Roasting”, where we bring you the juiciest roast. *ssssss* Anyway, today we are going to be reviewing the 2016 movie called – ‘Highly Strung.’
– Mm-hmm. – Now, as the name implies it is about violins,
– Mm-hmm. in particular, 2 violinists. The good guy, who uh… …as you’ll soon find out, can’t actually play the violin. The bad guy, who can actually kind of play the violin, and, some girl that dances. Wow, what a great combo. So now you think, a movie about violins would include… …proper violin playing. You don’t have to be trained that well, I can forgive… …Hollywood movies for that stuff. Yeah, but… No. *snickers* Nah…nah…
*sinckering* Google stock images of violin playing coming into real life. So for you musicians out there, be ready for a cringe-fest. And for those who are not musicians, we hope we can enlighten you with some… …education, and facts, that sometimes Google cannot represent… …properly. Let’s get right into it! “What are you gonna do, pass around a hat?” *snickering* *sigh* Okay, just—just— *sigh* *groans* So many things wrong with just the first 8 seconds! *sighing* Oh God. I need more ad revenue, I can’t…
*laughs* Okay. So first up, he changed his bow about, like a good half a second early. The ending trill, his bow basically stopped moving. Like, it’s impossible to keep a sound – when your bow’s moving so slow.
– Yeah. And… …the editor conveniently cuts it… …when the notes were moving up the violin! Too bad he forgot to cut out the fact that he’s still trilling here! OHHHHHHHhhhhHHHH!!! *laughs* Now, guys, let us show you— What he did was… The most sacrilegious problem, was that his bow… was not parallel to the bridge, and it was sliding everywhere. A straight bow sounds like this. A sliding bow sounds like this. Damn it, why I can’t keep a bow straight? Just— *shriek* Hey editor, you can cut it right? Yeah, yeah, don’t worry, yeah we’re out of budget so don’t worry. It’s fine, it’s fine. *sigh* Dude it was just— Oh God—this is gonna take one hour. For those of you who might’ve missed it, he was playing… …3 D’s. – Note it’s the same note repeated,
– Notes— which means the left hand doesn’t need to move. But yeah, look at what he does with the fingers. Hey editor, you can cut it right? It’s totally fine!
*laughs* I mean, couldn’t they had just gotten a violinist to be on set on the day for that 3 second shot and be like, “For these 3 seconds, just don’t change your fingers.” You know, that “senza vibrato” was really good. – It was so good it sounded like real vibrato. *snickering*
– Yeah. Thank you. The second guy… …at least looks like he kind of knows how to play the violin. You can see his bow is straight, – his left hand is moving when it’s meant to move.
– Mm-hmm. – Hey, at least it looks pretty realistic.
– Yeah, that’s okay. Did you see that? *laughs* [The] Director’s just like… “Yeah, yeah, quick, just wiggle it!” *snickers* Alright guys, introducing the new vibrato. Arm vibrato, wrist vibrato, – And this—oh sure.
– Wrist vibrato. Air vibrato. Wiggle wiggle wiggle. – Let’s just be nice.
– Be respectful. Be respectful [to] acting. Ohh! I’m sorry. He just lost all respect. *sigh* Guys, do you know how much…
*sighs* …a professional soloist bow costs? “Hey man, let’s just whack a $50,000 bow, man.” *kung-fu sounds* See? He’s pretty good. *sighs* What do you think the cellist is thinking? The cellist is like, “Kill myself.” *laughs* – He’s like, “I could play the violin better than that.”
– Got the vibrato, he’s pizzing it right… Yeah. Man, that guy in the grey jacket… *claps* – Thank you.
– Thank you. – Thank you.
– At least it’s in sync. – Oh my God.
– Oh God. Oh my God.
*shriek* *coughs* *chuckles* You know what the director said? “Just move fast! Do whatever it takes!” The sound he was probably making on the day, probably resembled more like… Oh dude, I broke a bow hair! *laughs* The thought just occurred to me. Imagine being one of the… …actors having to stand there, pretending you’re enjoying fine music. – Yeah.
– But in real life, you’re listening to like… Just—just make out already. – Yeah, just—argh. Yeah.
– Just—just kiss. At least make it into some romantic movie instead. *snickering* *crying* HELP! HELP! H E L P ! That’s the worst!
As you can see, the sound effects in this movie are as realistic as the violin playing. You know, as cheesy as this is, at least the hip-hop and dancing distracts the viewers from actual violin playing. It’s a good job. – Yeah, nice work director.
– Nice work. *groans in pain* Maybe we should have done that for our concerto battle. In our live concerts, just… Yeah, yeah, just… – I can’t.
– Why— Why are they sword fighting with the bows, anyway? The director’s probably like, “How do we make violin more mainstream? Oh, yeah. What does the bow look like? A sword!” HmmmMMMMMMMmmmmMMMMmmmm All right, don’t get too close guys, ’cause…you might start hitting each other and that’s not gonna be good. *snickers* Yes. You know, I have to say though… This scene is still nothing… …compared to the epic finale of the movie. I mean, at the end of the day, – movies require actors, and not musicians.
– Mm-hmm. But I just think it’s weird how the dancers were all professional dancers and choreographers. The female lead herself, they found an actress who has… …background in ballet, she started dancing ballet at four. She even went to a conservatory for ballet. Even the guy in the gray jacket, okay… As musicians, we’re judging by the way he holds his bow, it’s a bit tense to be maybe a professional musician, but he’s a professional actor that obviously knows how to kind of play the violin right. – But…
– But! *slaps hands* *slap* The main actor! *slaps hands* Was it because he’s such a good actor? ‘Cause…according to this review, apparently not! (Both) Ohhhhhh!!!! Was it because he…looks good? I think I’d rather see an average looking guy, that can play the violin, than this guy— Actually you know what, I changed my mind. He’s pretty good looking. Looks do matter. *clicks tongue* Call us. Looks—at the end of the day, it was good music, good choreography, good dancing, – You know…
– Good lighting… – Good lighting, everything works well. Editing…yeah.
– Good camerawork. Pretty good so far. But, it’s just such a letdown…. …to see an actor that just obviously cannot play the violin. You know, I think it’s about time that uh… Hollywood started hiring real… – …musicians, for musical roles.
– Mm-hmm. We gotta fight back! That’s right! Guys, as usual, subscribe if you like our stuff, Watch our page. Thank you for watching. But, just as a bonus for watching this far, we’re gonna actually record what it actually sounds like. Hmm? *chuckles* *sighs* Kill me. Hmm. He’s really good. Yo, Imma need you to give me that. *groans* Hmm?